0357 283295

Our Region

Beechworth

Beechworth was first settled by grazier David Reid and was originally known as Mayday Hills until 1853. When the Post Office first opened on 1 May 1853 it was known as Spring Creek and was finally renamed Beechworth on 1st January 1854. From 1852 – 1857 Beechworth was a major gold prospecting town and centre of government. The first local elections were held in 1855 with one candidate, Daniel Cameron, famously riding a horse shod with golden horseshoes into town.

Today, Beechworth is one of only two towns in Victoria classified as "Notable" by the National Trust and is home to approximately 4000 people. Beechworth residents are proud of their gold rush heritage with wide tree lined streets and many buildings which have been lovingly restored to their original splendour.

Beechworth attracts visitors and new residents from across Australia, drawn to the friendly local ‘community’ lifestyle, excellent shopping, fine dining restaurants, wineries, cafes, country pubs, attractions and surrounding hills. There is an abundance of local and regional attractions and activities to suit all people, including cycling, bushwalking, mountain-bike riding, gold-panning, scenic drives and walks, swimming, fishing and golf just to name a few.

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Yackandandah

Chiltern

283kms

613kms

397kms

35.8kms

38.9kms

22kms

24kms

Population: 3559 (2011)

 

Chiltern

Originally known as Black Dog Creek the township of Chiltern was first surveyed in 1853 but not settled until the gold rush of 1853. The Post Office opened on 1st September 1859 and today a large number of Chiltern's buildings have been classified by the National Trust.  

Chiltern is a town with a strong community ethic and is popular for its proximity to regional centres and historic buildings dating back to the gold rush days. It features preserved streetscapes and many historic brick buildings and timber verandahs. The miners’ cottages, Athenaeum Museum and Dow’s Pharmacy are largely unchanged from the gold rush days and it’s not hard to imagine the early pioneers wandering the streets and shops.

The town is evolving with an historic museum, numerous bric-a-brac shops and places to eat. The picturesque park on Lake Anderson is only a short walk from the centre of town and there are nearby bush walking tracks and bird watching spots in the surrounding Box-Ironbark National Park.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Beechworth

Yackandandah

290kms

589kms

373kms

37.7kms

32.5kms

25.8kms

39kms

Population: 1641 (2011)

 

Rutherglen

Rutherglen was originally known as the Wahgunyah Rush and quickly evolved to become known as Barkly after the governor of the time Sir Henry Barkly. As a town name ‘Barkly’ did not last long and the town was eventually named Rutherglen after the home town in Scotland of John 'Seven Star' Wallace the local publican of the Star Hotel.

As with many towns in the region Rutherglen was founded during the gold rush days and the local Rutherglen Post Office opened on 1 November 1860. Today, Rutherglen is one of Victoria’s finest wine producing areas with approximately 16 wineries all situated just a short drive from the main town centre. Varieties such as Muscat and Topaque (Tokay) are frequently considered as being amongst the best available worldwide. Many of the wineries include landscaped gardens, water features and fine dining restaurants to accompany the cellar doors

Along with other towns in Indigo the main street of Rutherglen has proudly retained and protected its historical features with many of the facades largely unchanged since the gold rush days. Other attractions include Lake King, Apex Park and Rutherglen Park.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Albury/Wodonga

Yackandandah

Chiltern

296kms

600kms

384kms

40kms

50.1kms

58.8kms

19.4kms

Population: 2480 (2011)

 

Stanley

Located in the foothills of the Victoria Alps, Stanley is well known for its diverse range of flora, fauna and fine local produce with seasonal crops of berries, cherries, apples, walnuts and chestnuts throughout the year. The town boasts a strong and progressive local community with many beautiful gardens and scenic drives. There is a centrally located pub, sports ground and a number of bush drives and walks.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Albury/Wodonga

Beechworth

Myrtleford

292kms

622kms

406kms

45kms

48.2kms

9.3kms

35.6kms

Population: 324 (2011)

 

Wooragee

In the early days Wooragee was part of a run known as "Reids Run". "Reids Run" joined "Mackays Run" with one point of the boundary being at the huge rocks known as the "Three Sisters" near Woolshed. "Reids Run" extended through Wooragee to the gap leading out of the basin. And during the gold rush days there where two hotels, a bakery and church.

Wooragee is a small community of farming properties and lifestyle allotments located on the Beechworth Wodonga Road. In 1840 David Reid took on Wooragee as a sheep run and formed a station home at the West end of Wooragee. Sheep were shepherded along Spring Creek and Mayday Hills (now Beechworth).

Today Wooragee has its own primary school which is popular amongst locals in and around the region, tennis courts, community hall and various farms and other businesses located amongst the hills. Wooragee has a very strong community spirit and properties here are sought after.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Yackandandah

Chiltern

293kms

590kms

375kms

45.3kms

29.7kms

13.3kms

26kms

Population: 336 (2011)

 

Yackandandah

Yackandandah is one of the jewels within Indigo with its wide tree lined streets, welcoming locals and close proximity to the regional hub of Albury/Wodonga. The area of Yackandandah was first mentioned when Hume and Hovell passed through the surrounding valleys in 1824 and soon after it was settled in 1837. Gold was discovered in 1852 in Yackandandah Creek and in 1856 the township was surveyed and the sale of land began along with several substantial buildings which still remain today. Heritage Victoria and the National Trust list many of the buildings and trees.

Yackandandah has its own hospital, service station (run by very friendly and helpful staff), plenty of eateries and an eclectic mix of shops, pubs and accommodation options for travellers.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Beechworth

Chiltern

306kms

586kms

371kms

58.3kms

27.6kms

22.5kms

39kms

Population: 1855 (2011)

 

Everton

The small town of Everton now falls within the Rural City of Wangaratta but was at one stage a part of the United Shire of Beechworth. Once a stop on the railway line to Beechworth and Yackandandah it is now a popular stop along the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail which is popular amongst cyclists discovering the route from Wangaratta to Beechworth or continuing on to Myrtleford and Bright.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Beechworth

Myrtleford

269kms

631kms

416kms

22.1kms

57.8kms

18.9kms

24.4kms

Population: 341 (2011)

 

Eldorado

Settlement of the Eldorado area dates from the late 1830s when the land was primarily used for grazing and farming. As with other regional towns the population was minimal until the 1850s when gold was discovered and the population increased at that time. The growth in the late 1800s was spurred on by the opening of the railway line from Melbourne to Wodonga in 1873. Mining ceased in 1954.

There are a large number of farming properties in the area with several small solely residential homes in the centre of town. There are a number of popular swimming holes, nearby Carraragarmungee primary School and the historic dredge which is a popular tourism attraction.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wodonga

Wangaratta

Beechworth

Myrtleford

274kms

626kms

410kms

67.8kms

24kms

36.4kms

43.1kms

Population: 1581 (2011) (Includes the surrounding districts)

 

Tarrawingee

The small community of Tarrawingee falls within the boundaries of the Rural City of Wangaratta and is only a short distance to our head office in Beechworth. Tarrawingee is conveniently located to Wangaratta, Milawa and the King Valley gourmet food and wine region. Within Tarrawingee there is a pub and golf course with the Ovens River only a short distance away.

Key Information:

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Yackandandah

Beechworth

259kms

631kms

416kms

11.9kms

74.8kms

46.5kms

23.9kms

Population: 484 (2011)