0357 283295

Town Profiles

Beechworth

Beechworth was first settled by grazier David Reid and was originally known as Mayday Hills until 1853. When the Post Office first opened on 1 May 1853 it was known as Spring Creek and was finally renamed Beechworth on 1st January 1854. From 1852 – 1857 Beechworth was a major gold prospecting town and centre of government. The first local elections were held in 1855 with one candidate, Daniel Cameron, famously riding a horse shod with golden horseshoes into town.

Today, Beechworth is one of only two towns in Victoria classified as "Notable" by the National Trust and is home to approximately 4000 people. Beechworth residents are proud of their gold rush heritage with wide tree lined streets and many buildings which have been lovingly restored to their original splendour.

Beechworth attracts visitors and new residents from across Australia, drawn to the friendly local ‘community’ lifestyle, excellent shopping, fine dining restaurants, wineries, cafes, country pubs, attractions and surrounding hills. There is an abundance of local and regional attractions and activities to suit all people, including cycling, bushwalking, mountain-bike riding, gold-panning, scenic drives and walks, swimming, fishing and golf just to name a few.

Distances

Melbourne

Sydney

Canberra

Wangaratta

Wodonga

Yackandandah

Chiltern

283kms

613kms

397kms

35.8kms

38.9kms

22kms

24kms

Population: 3559 (2011)